Thursday, October 1, 2009

Feeling a bit Nostalgic


When I was in Walmart the other night I found that they were selling 6 packs of Grape Crush in glass bottles. I had to buy some.

IMG_1423


When I brought it home, Mike didn't seem as thrilled about it as I was. You see, when I was growing up we had a Coca-Cola bottle opener on the wall because we always got the returnable glass bottles from Black Bear Bottling Company when they were in St. Francis, WI.



Black Bear's store was more like a warehouse. There were crates and crates of their flavored sodas stacked up. You went up and down the aisles with your squeaky shopping cart and a wooden crate and chose all of the flavors that you wanted each one very vibrantly colored. Lime, Orange, Grape, Black Cherry, Cherry, Root Bear, Cream Soda, Lemon-Lime, Cola; just to name a few. We usually bought 1-2 crates which I think held 24 bottles, with each visit. When they were empty you went back with your bottles and got to pick out a new batch. Right around the time that they started making Blue Raspberry - which I like to call Smurf Pee; they switched from glass bottles to plastic 20 ounce bottles. Now, gone is the retail store and you can only buy their soda in a few stores and gas stations around town.


Although it's fun to drink the occasional Coke from a bottle, it's an even bigger thrill for me when I run across a flavored soda in a bottle. It always takes me back to the summer nights when I sat on the front porch with the neighbor kids, running inside to ask if we could all have a Black Bear soda, pouting when someone else drank my favorite flavors, forgetting that within a few weeks time we'd be back, filling up those crates again.

I'm progressing with Athena's Puzzle. I've been working on the second half. At 11:30PM I just couldn't do anymore and left my studio looking like this:


IMG_1416
IMG_1417
IMG_1418
IMG_1420

I'm almost there!!



4 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Jen, did you ever go to American Soda Water on Hwy 36? Same concept. Many, many years ago. My favorite flavor was fruit punch. Thanks for the memories!

Jennifer said...

What about the Sprecher sodas? We loved them when we were in WI a few years ago!

Moneik said...

I just bought black cherry in the glass bottle at walmart last week. It makes great floats... like rootbeer but with black cherry and ice cream.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Mmm.. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that has bought the sodas in the glass bottles. We actually brought an old fashioned pepsi bottle opener for my dad from the country store or something when I was in North Carolina in July. Your quilt looks great I love all the batiks.