Sunday, October 4, 2009

Newest Obsession – Quilts on Barns

A few months ago my friend Jen told me about the quilt blocks on barns that she had seen while on a quilt shop hop with her parents. We decided we were going to start checking them out but we’ve yet to get started. On a whim I decided to do a Google search to see where exactly they were located. Well, I found a different county than the one she knew about that had 15 barns so I mentioned it to Mike and we decided to go check them out on Sunday since there wasn’t a Packer game.

Over the next few weeks I’ll be sharing the photo’s that I took from the barns (and two light houses) that we saw. Little by little I’m going to plug all of the coordinates into my GPS. The other grouping of barns has about 45 quilt blocks.

Next weekend is the Racine Lighthouse Quilters Guild Show. I’m hoping to go on Sunday and maybe we’ll drive past a few of the barns on the way to and from the show. They are supposed to be unveiling 6 new barns…one of which we found by accident today! Once I find out where the rest of them are, I plan to visit those too.

Here are a few links to some of the Quilts on Barns projects in Wisconsin:

Racine County Quilts on Barns, Green County, Kewaunee Area, Lafayette County, Walworth County

5 comments:

Freeblady said...

I live in Ohio and we too have Quilt Barns... http://ohiobarns.com/otherbarns/quilt/quiltbarnsoh.html

Julie-Ann said...

I never heard of quilt barns, but how cool is that? Now I want to go out and explore. Sounds like you and Mike had a wonderful day on Sunday.

Jayne said...

Yes! Ohio has some beauties, as freeblady says. Here is a link to the Greenfield Historical Society who has had a massive project in our area to decorate barns with quilts. They are all around Ross and Highland counties, some within a stone's throw of my house! They are definitely tourist attractions for our area.
http://www.greenfieldhistoricalsociety.org/ghs-quilt-barn-trail.html
Jayne

Moneik said...

What a fun day out with Mike. I wish we had those around here. I'm sure they are wonderful to view in person.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I read about the quilts on barns some where but had never seen them. Now I can share them with you!