Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A little of this, a little of that

It's been a few days since I've posted about what I've been working on.  I've been going to town on the English Paper Piecing Glace Flowers that I'll be doing a demo for the day after Thanksgiving at the shop.  They've just been so relaxing to work on.

IMG_3324

I haven't sewn them together yet.  I'd like to wait until all of my flowers are complete so that I can have good color distribution throughout.

Over the past weekend I had the opportunity to attend the second Holiday for Quilters retreat at Lake Lawn Lodge.  The retreaters took classes from Kaye England and worked on a few of her patterns.



Here's the slideshow from retreat.  Turn off the effects for the best viewing or click through to view it directly on webshots.




Also this week I finished sewing down the binding on my Gobble, Gobble Log Cabin Quilt which I made partly using Debi's Log Cabin Tutorial.  Her tutorial uses one Layer Cake and 2 yards of background fabric.  I decided to use multiple colors of background and I added pieces from the Gobble Gobble fabric panel.  I'm happy with the way this quilt turned out since Thanksgiving always has me thinking of the good memories from when we'd make the Turkey & Stuffing in my Grandparent's basement with Grandpa at the helm doling out orders to his Grandkids.  Is this quilt a work of art?  Definitely not but it's funky and I love it.

IMG_3329

With the binding done on Gobble Gobble, I've now been sewing down the binding on Mike's Golf Irish Chain.  I've got one side done and three to go.  Yikes...this one is going to take a long time.

Mike and I went to the Domes on Monday so I could snap pictures.  I got a little carried away shooting and I'm really only thrilled with a handful of them.  I'll upload the slide show once the shots are ready.

Last night I cut out my Braided Star quilt that I'm going to work on after Thanksgiving Dinner while we are at Linda's house.  I wanted to do a test run with the colors so I plunked it into Electric Quilt.  I'm happy to finally be using EQ and knowing how to do things instead of pouring over the book.  I was going to start this quilt earlier this year but didn't get around to it because I used one of the pinks for an apron.  It took me a while to find another one to match.  During that time, I managed to use my black batik and needed to replace that too.   My mom went to start hers a while back but we discovered there were a few pattern errors and there really isn't a way to cut the quilt out using the yardage that they ask for on the pattern - you need quite a bit more which is unfortunate because a few of the fabrics Mom picked out are no longer available.  We'll have to make a few changes in order for her to be able to get going.  In the mean time, here's the drawing I worked up:

braided star

I can't wait to get started!!

5 comments:

Fiesta said...

Jen I love your color selection of fabrics for the hexies. beautiful

swooze said...

Is that Braided Star your own design? I love it. If it is can you share your EQ file?

SueWis said...

Wow, I love the colors in the quilt you are working on. Just stunning.

Heather said...

That braided star quilt will be gorgeous all done up!

Moneik said...

Love the Flowers. You've come a long ways on your hexi's. The colors in the braid are stunning and I think you'll have tons of fun working on it.