Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Block of the Week - Block #1 – Log Cabin – Racine County

Jen Buettner – Cre8tive Quilter
Wisconsin Quilt Blocks on Barns - Block of the Week

Block #1 – Log Cabin – Racine County

clip_image002 clip_image004
Your block will finish to 6”. This means that it will physically measure 6-1/2” X 6-1/2” before it is sewn to other blocks.

Cutting Instructions & Piecing Locations for 6” Paper Pieced Block:


(2) 1-3/4” X 7” – Medium Blue – A12 & A13
(2) 1-3/4” X 5-1/2” – Medium Brown – A10 & A11
(2) 1-3/4” X 5-1/2” – Medium Green – A8 & A9
(2) 1-3/4” X 4” – Medium Tan – A6 & A7
(2) 1-3/4” X 4” – Light Green – A4 & A5
(2) 1-3/4” X 1-1/2” – Light Tan – A1 & A3
(1) 2-1/2” X 2-1/2” Red – A2

Click HERE to print a clean Log Cabin Instruction Sheet
Click HERE to download and print the Log Cabin Foundation Pattern 


**You will want to Download the file and then print the .pdf file.  When you print, make sure that scaling is turned off enabling the document to print at 100%  Take a moment to measure.  The outer dashed line should measure 6-1/2".  If you print directly from the Google Docs screen you might come out with a slightly smaller sized block.**  Please click HERE for further printing instructions.

Please click to add your link once you've finished your block.  I'd love to see it!!

8 comments:

Kristy James said...

What a cool idea! I've really enjoyed your Barn Pictures. I live in West Virginia and we really don't have too many barns with Quilt blocks on them. I've threatened to add one to my husband's garage, but that didn't recieve much support. I think a quilt from those blocks would just be lovely.

Thanks for all your hard work in putting the instructions together.

Take care.

fiberdoodles said...

Hi Jen!

Thank you so much for stopping by; I love meeting other quilters. I too recently learned of these barns as we traveled through Ohio this summer. They are amazing aren't they. I can't wait to see the finished blocks. This is a wonderful idea!! Keep quilting ;)

rjholmes920 said...

Jen-
I'm SO excited you decided to post the patterns. I've been drooling over your 6" squares for months. Now that you are posting these, I'm moving. It's killing me that I can't run to the sewing room and whip them up.
THANK YOU for sharing!!!

~Kim~ said...

Hi Jen

I just did the first block, and it I didnt notice it till I was totally finished with the paper piece and the last block is on.

But the paper pattern block is smaller than 6". Mine printed out to a 5 5/8", so that is my block size. I downloaded the pattern, printed it out from Adobe Reader.

I can send pictures as soon as I find your email.

Kim

Straitcrazy0308 said...

Hi Jen,

I really appeciate all your work in drafting and posting these blocks of the week.
Ellen

Sandra Henderson said...

So, can you give me more info on how to participate? I mean, do I post on my blog each one , once per week and then make it? Do I just take it off of here and post it? Then when I do, sign in on the form thing here? Sorry, but need more info. before I begin. I love the idea! XO

Rena Bartlett said...

Your barn and quilt square are beautiful. We do that on our barns back home in KY. The quilt block on your barn is court house steps instead of log cabin. You might want to tweak your blog.

Jen said...

Hi Rena, Actually, It's neither my block or my barn. That is a barn in Racine County and Log Cabin is the name the owner of that barn chose to gave it. Thanks for your concern.