Sunday, January 17, 2010

Drafting new blocks!

I spent all day on Sunday listening to The Lovely Bones on audio book while I worked on drafting blocks for my Wisconsin Quilt Blocks on Barns Block of the Week.  I had a hard time listening to The Lovely Bones at first.  The narrator is actually the books author.  Her voice just seemed so monotone and unenthused for the first few hours.  It was a good book though, and I’m really looking forward to seeing the movie. 


I had quite a few blocks that I've been putting off for some time.  Most of which I had to draft from scratch.  I've learned so much about Electric Quilt in the past few months.  This was the first time I played with drawing appliqués and I’m not sure how well I did.  I’ll probably re-draw the roses block at some point but the rest I’m pretty happy with.  Now I just need to piece them and write up the instructions.


new blocks


This leaves me with ONE stinkin’ barn that I’ve visited so far that I simply CANNOT figure out how to draft.  I’ve tried so many different things and I’m just not getting it to come out right – especially with the 4-patch corners.  Anyone want to give it a shot?


 
IMG_2056


I've put a poll on my sidebar for my readers to choose the 4th block in my Block of the Week program. #1 is Churn Dash, #2 is Spinning Spools & #3 is Spider Web.






Next up I decided to work on my Valentines Day table runner.  I originally intended to appliqué it to a background but I decided to try a technique that I found online…and eww.  I feel like I ruined it.  =(  At this point, I’m not sure if I want to push out all of the points.  It’s going to take a lot of close trimming in the inside corners.  I’m afraid it’s going to look craptastic even after all that work.  I might just make a smooth edge instead. 


IMG_3799
IMG_3802   


Thoughts??

8 comments:

Moneik said...

Love all your barn blocks! You've put so much work in to them and they turned out awesome. I wish I was more skilled at EQ to help, but for now, not so much. I can see what you're saying about the tablerunner. I think I would do it straight.

Jen said...

I think I'd do the tablerunner straight based on those pictures. It's too bad the technique didn't work out right. I actually might like the straight better anyway.

Colleen said...

The drafted blocks look really great. As for the table runner, I'd do a straight edge.

Lynn Osborne said...

Jen, I think I'd go with the tablerunner straight also. If you could get the points really perfect, it might look cute. But it seems like a whole lot of work with a fair amount of gamble in it! BTW, is the fabric from your stash or recent acquisition? If new, do you know what they are. I'm looking for black and red with hearts and two of your fabrics might really work for me. It's the two in the bigger picture --- Black with red solid hearts and red with black sort of swirly hearts.

Lynn Osborne said...

Whoops, I think I just found it. The fabric is L'Amour, yes? So, it looks like black in your picture, but the description in one of the online shops says red and brown. Is it black or brown? Oh, forget to mention in the last post that the barn blocks are really coming together. Sorry I can't help on piecing the block you're having trouble with. It's too advanced for me.

Lish said...

I've posted the first two blocks on my blog and I'm so ready for week 3! I'm also doing the Golden Thimble Barn BOM... I think it will make a great wallhanging!

Lish
http://lishsstuff.blogspot.com

~Kim~ said...

I agree with the others, go with the straight edge. Seems to busy the other way.

Crispy said...

Jen, did you get your star block worked out? Karen at Log Cabin Quilter directed me to your blog and thought I could help. I drafted it up in EQ, comes out to be a 10" block but not so sure how it will reduce down to be put in your barn blocks...won't be easy for rotary instructions. Anyway, I can send you the EQ6 project file if you would like. It's not exactly the same, but pretty darn close.

Crispy