Monday, January 4, 2010

Is Anyone up for a Block of the Week??


Jen Buettner – Cre8tive Quilter

Wisconsin Quilt Blocks on Barns – Block of the Week

The Summer of 2009 is when I first became aware of Quilt Blocks on Barns in Wisconsin. While a few of these programs are just beginning, all of them have plans to expand. As many of you can tell, I’ve become just a bit obsessed!! When I started making the blocks from the pictures I have taken, I received a few questions where I got the patterns so I decided I better get busy writing the patterns and share them.

I’ve already visited 84 barns which means you will be able to decide which blocks you want to make and which ones you don’t.

While there are many ways to put a block together, most of the blocks in this program will be paper pieced which will keep them nice and accurate. None of the blocks that I’ve drafted so far would I call difficult, just time consuming…after all, they’re 6” blocks!

Hopefully your quilt will take on your own personality. Mine is going to be completed within the same general colors that the barn quilts have been painted in. I’ve been using tone on tone fabrics. However, this is your quilt and I encourage you to use whatever fabrics and colors that you would like to use.

My goal is to post a block each Wednesday. This program will continue for the minimum of one year but will continue on as long as there is interest and additional Quilts on Barns going up in Wisconsin.  This isn’t the final draft by any means, it’s a work in progress. 


Barn Quilt BOW

The possibilities are endless!  Will you make all the blocks or only a few??  Join me!

Click HERE for a clean printable version of this page.

9 comments:

quiltcrazygal said...

Jen I just love your blog. It would be a dream come true to get this project started in Wood County Ohio:) Not sure where or how to start...just dreaming. Good luck on your blocks of the week can't wait to see them. Jenna Louise

Julie-Ann said...

Thanks for offering to post a pattern a week. However, what about those of us who don't do paper piecing? LOL

I love the idea of sticking wth tone-on-tone fabric.

I think it is awesome that you are doing this project and taking all the time and effort to document the quilt barns and share the information. Thank you!

Moneik said...

I'm with you! I love the idea of a block a week to keep me sewing this year. I'll try to keep up.

~Kim~ said...

Im in!! No doubt!!

bjgifford5 said...

I'm new but I'm in.
Judy

dorothy said...

I am going to give it a shot, would love to see these barns in person, but will do this instead.

will you send a reminder?? As life gets in the way of my memory sometimes...

Colleen said...

Woo hoo! I am from Wisconsin... can't wait to try :o)

crystal said...

I know I am late for your quilt party but, I just ran across your blog and I love the blocks. I will try to catch up. Will I need to do anything or just follow?

Kim's Crafty Apple said...

This is so cool! We just put up a barn quilt on our Wisconsin Orchard - I used a slightly 'tweaked' constellation pattern...

http://lapaceksorchard.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-make-barn-quilt.html