Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Paper Piecing Tips

Jen Buettner – Cre8tive Quilter

Wisconsin Quilt Blocks on Barns - Block of the Week

Paper Piecing Tip

There are many blocks in the Wisconsin Quilts on Barns Block of the Week that have multiple parts that need to be assembled before they are actually sewn into a block.  One thing I like to do before I get started is to actually write the colors onto my foundation like this:
clip_image001

Keep in mind, this is the REVERSE IMAGE of your finished block.  You need to work backwards.  This is what your finished block would look like:




I know it doesn’t look like a huge help but believe me, it is!  Especially if you start putting your block together and then have to come back to it later.  I also try to do this before I cut the foundation apart.

When you cut your sections apart do not cut right on the dotted outer line.  Rough cut around each section.  You will straighten this up before you start assembling your sections together.

I find the Add-A Rulers to be a huge help.  I especially like the Add and Eighth ruler for these 6" blocks.  An 1/8th inch seam versus a 1/4" can make a huge difference in more areas than just your assembly.  The 1/8th" leaves less bulk in your seams.  Not only will it make them easier to join your sections but if we're talking about making a quilt with about 100+ blocks, the quilt itself is going to be pretty heavy before you even go to quilt it.

2 comments:

Michele said...

It is tempting - but I haven't had luck with paper piecing in the past :(

Moneik said...

Love all the helpful hints on paper piecing... you could be the next CD!