Saturday, January 30, 2010

Quilting Public Service Announcement

This post is brought to you by the letter I.  That is I for idiot.  The idiot being me...

I feel as if everything I did to get this Pick Farm block made went wrong.  I had my four segments together and then I went to assemble the sections.  I couldn't get my machine to advance, I ended up stretching out one of my pieces.  The paper came off.  It was just all downhill from there.

Here's my nice pucker-ey block:

IMG_3841


I unscrewed my needle plate and cleaned it out.  Hmmm, that wasn't too bad.  I decided to change my needle even though I knew it was changed not very long ago.  I doubt it even had 2 hours sewing on it.  We noticed that my regular needle plate was on, so I switched to the single hole plate.  While I was at it, I changed my 28mm and 60mm rotary blades.  I printed the block on vellum instead of the newsprint that I've been using.  

After a second try, a great looking block:

IMG_3843

When in doubt, change things up.  Check your needle plate, check your needle, clean out your bobbin race.  Start fresh.  Sometimes it makes a world of difference!!

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Yes it does!
That's a really cool block design too.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love that you show mistakes! I love that not every single thing you touch turns to gold and you're not afraid to show it! Makes me feel like there is hope for me! Great block, Jen.

Barb said...

SEcond time was a charm.....sometimes sewing can get a bit frustrating....but you hung in there!

Christa said...

Glad you didn't scrap it after the first try...the second go around looks great.

piecesofpatti said...

Nice to know it just does not happen to me! Block looks great Jen!

Lilla Marilla said...

The second block looks great! Pleased to know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes.
By the way, I am so impressed by you creating all these Blocks on Barns, thank you! I have informed about your Block of the Week here in Uppsala (Sweden) and I know there are many interested, hope they will join.