Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler

As if I didn't have enough craziness going on I've decided to embark on the quest to make a Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt.  It's actually going to be part of a program at the shop.  The first Wednesday of each month there will be a "challenge" fat quarter available for that months four blocks.  We're going to follow the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler website for their block of the week.

10686A

I decided to use April Cornell's Natures Notebook line as the base for my quilt.  I can add other colors and fabrics as I go.
IMG_3746IMG_3748IMG_3747

So I started putting together this Blazing Star block and boy were those some tiny pieces!  I guess I'm much more used to paper piecing tiny pieces than cutting 1-1/8" strips and cutting them on a 45 degree angle.  So I would sew an inch, rip and inch, sew and inch, rip an inch.  It took me forever just to get my 8 little 4-patches sewn together.

IMG_3750

Of course, then it was time to do the Y seams...which I'm mediocre at on larger blocks but awful on teeny tiny pieces.

IMG_3751

After playing with this block for about 3 hours I decided that having a nice looking block was much more important to me than following this particular set of instructions.  The SBS block was supposed to be assembled like the first drawing.  The second picture is how I ended up making my block.  I eliminated the Y-seams.

Blazing Star f-9 blazing star 2

So I ask you...which is right?  Is it better to follow the pattern and have a crappy block?  Or is it better to break it up into more sections to get a better looking and more precise block?  Does it matter??

IMG_3752

I also made two vinyl project bags and even sewed two J's on.  I have about 5 more to make.  I just cut up the vinyl that I had on hand.  I don't have a pattern for these, I just wing it.

IMG_3755

11 comments:

Ilana said...

I really enjoy your blog. It gives me a lot of creative inspiration for my own projects.

I love your blazing star block. In my opinion, the end result and having fun with the process are the important things not the method of construction. I admire that you came up with a better way to make that block.

Yvette said...

That's my kind of girl!!!! I avoid Y seams like the plague. Your block came out fantastic! Love your color palate.

Rhonda P. said...

I have thought several times that I would like to start this quilt. I didn't though and started a Dear Jane. What was I thinking?

I believe you did right in changing the pattern. I would have done the same thing. I would definitely rather have a great looking block.

Moneik said...

Your block turned out great! I've always wanted to do this quilt, but it's gonna be a while for me. I bought the book last year, but for now I look at it. Have fun with your club. Loving the vinyl bags! I really should make myself some. I have some store bought ones and I use them all the time.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Of course, you got Cre8tive and found a better way to make that block. Those fabrics are beautiful. (Repeating to self: No, you can't buy more fabric!)

~Kim~ said...

Ah-mazing!

Michele said...

Eh, I'm compulsive. I would fight with the y-seams. I have a charm pack of that line that my guild secret sister gave me; it's totally yummy.

Colleen said...

For what it's worth, I think changing it is A-OK. I'm less likely to work on something if it's really frustrating, so if changing it is less frustrating, go for it. I think it looks great the way you did it!

Alycia said...

I love your color choices!

Roslyn said...

You go girl, because this is one quilt I will not be making, LOL. Bonnie's mysteries are enough for me, all those little bits.
Love blue & yellow I have made two in that colorway.

Julie-Ann said...

I love your color choices and believe changing the block is just fine! You always do a great job.