Monday, January 25, 2010

Two Finishes

I finished sewing the binding on my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Binder.  I really like how it came out BUT I still need to design some sort of closure.  A flap of some sort which undoubtedly should have been added BEFORE I assembled it.

IMG_3833 IMG_3835

This isn't something I used a pattern for, I just figured it out as I went fitting it to my binder before I made my cuts.  I started out by cutting a WOF strip that was about two inches wider than the height of my binder.  Once quilted I wrapped it around to see just how much I needed to cover the binder itself.  the extra fabric I split in half and used for the inside flaps.  I added the handles before I sewed the entire thing together.  They are actually webbing that I covered with fabric.  The fabric was from Jennifer Chiaverini's fabric line "The Winding Ways Quilt" and printed by Red Rooster.  It's an older fabric line but I had it in my stash and thought it was perfect to use for my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Binder.

I also finished up the notebook wrap that I was making for my friend Katie.

IMG_3829

IMG_3830

IMG_3831

IMG_3832

I'm really happy with how this turned out.  It's another thing that I make without a pattern.  A few friends are trying to talk me into writing up a tutorial so there might be something in the coming months.  I just do the same thing I did for the binder cover...starting with an oversized piece and then just cut it up as needed for the size of the notebook.

2 comments:

Levi said...

Beautiful fabrics! I have been using the stretchy hair bands and a button for closures. They come in lots of colors and I have even covered them with a small tube of fabric if I wanted it to match better. Find a cool button to sew on the front. You could attach the stretchy loop to the inside of the back piece at the edge and sew a square of fabric over it to cover the ends.
I am noticing as I finish this that it is going through my son's google account!
Cindy Kuipers (not Levi, he's my son)

Marilyn said...

That cover is really great. I'd like a little tutorial on making one, too. I love the books by J. Chiaverini but honestly haven't shopped for fabric for quite some time. I am trying to organize EVERYTHING since my husband died and am so slow. One day it will be time for sewing again. Thanks for sharing.