Sunday, January 31, 2010

Y-seams...I kicked butt and took names!

I've never been able to sew a clean Y-seam.  I pretty much avoid them at all costs but I knew I needed to overcome that in order to teach Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.  I found a fantastic tutorial on the C&T Publishing Blog.

I paper pieced all of my sections INCLUDING the stand alone squares.  For those I did a basting stitch around the outside between the edge and the start of the seam allowance.  I figured that by sewing it to paper I could follow the lines and know precisely where to stop sewing.  When I completed my first Y-seam and it looked beautiful I did a happy dance!!!! (The picture also shows how I basted the square onto paper.)

IMG_3850

As I did each of the 8 Y-Seams I got more and more excited.  If basting my pieces to paper and using the lines from paper piecing so I can clearly see my start/stop points is what it takes to turn out a perfect Y-Seam I'll happily do it each and every time from here on out!!

Here's G-1 from Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - Love in a Mist:


I'm so ridiculously proud of my block that I've been joking that I need to frame it!

7 comments:

Winona said...

Very pretty. Glad you figured out a way to make the y seams work for you. They look great. Winona

Barbara said...

I may have to look up that tutorial. I just try avoid patterns that call for y-seams.

Yvette said...

I would frame it for all to see! It is perfecto!!!!

I have yet to master the Y seam and have sworn off them for my health.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Jen, that block is awesome! You should frame it! And then...mail it to me! I, also, am crazy about those fabrics. You Rock!

Vicki W said...

You sure did! It's perfect!

Rhonda said...

Wow! Great job.....I need to pop over to that tutorial and practice. Thanks for sharing!!!

Robin in Short Pump said...

You should be proud, it's fabulous.