Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hell Has Frozen Over

Let me start off by saying, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!!!  Before he went to bed last night, I changed his pillow case to our Happy Birthday one.  I wonder if he noticed?  He’s probably so used to seeing our wacky pillowcases that he may not have.  I made him two pillowcases for his birthday.  They match his golf quilt.

I also made a notebook wrap for a friends birthday.  Like an idiot I sewed the binding onto the wrong side.  I also forgot to sew on the one side of the Velcro before I assembled it.  Oh well…I’m just hand sewing the binding  down from here and I get to hand sew the Velcro too.  Life will have to go on…

By now you’re probably wondering what my “Hell has frozen over” title is about.  Well…

Yeah, that’s right…I now own a little collection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  I always said, “No way, that stuff is ugly.”  I still don’t *get* it but I figure it’s time to step outside my comfort zone.  What am I going to do with it?  Well….

English Paper Piecing of course!!  It’s already got a name too, “This Ain’t Your Grandmother’s Flower Garden.”  I’m going to outline these babies in black.  It’s going to just be an ongoing project until I’ve decided it’s done.  I think it will make a fun quilt.  I’ve picked out a few fabrics just for fussy cutting the centers.  Of course my first flower had to be out of the ONE Kaffe print that I fell in love with last year.  I know everyone is sick of seeing this piece of fabric because I stretched my piece of it to the limit and made a little bit of everything so I dug the little pieces back out of my scraps just to make a flower.  Muha hahahahah.

So there you have it.  Hell has frozen over because I’m playing with Kaffe fabrics.

9 comments:

Moneik said...

Happy Birthday to Mike! I'm sure he'll love the new pillowcases. You're a notebook cover making machine. You've got it down pat now, so you could probably make them in your sleep. I'm glad to hear SD isn't the only place Hell has frozen over! I'm loving making my EPP tablerunner and I never thought I'd say I love handwork.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Jen! Won't he love that one? Love the pillow cases and the flower! Hex's are cool!

Beth said...

I'm with you on Kaffe's fabrics. I can take them one at a time- with LOTS Of solids and/or tone on tones. But all together!? they make me grind my teeth! I like them in your GFG tho. Maybe that goes back to Bonnie Hunters rule : if you dont' like it, its not cut small enought yet! I have that fab to make my DH a pillow case too. I hope I have enought for a kingsized case! lolol

Carolyn said...

I so understand the Kaffe thing! I swore up down and sideways for years that I'd never use them. Until this past Thanksgiving when I saw a stack of them that just looked so pretty together. I succumbed to the colors. They're going to be used in my Aunt Millie's Garden quilt. (and I feel like i need to buy more)

Barb said...

Happy Birthday Mike!!!

Love the material and what you are going to do with it...wonderful!

piecesofpatti said...

Happy Birthday to hubby, Mike! The pillow cases are great. I have not attempted the hexagons yet, but I wil l get there.

piecesofpatti said...

Like that last comment, I will or will I.......accidental or intended.......hmmmmmm!

Colleen said...

I have the same reaction to Kaffe fabrics. I think some of them are really pretty, others gross, and either way I had no idea how to use them without making a very busy, overwhelming quilt. The paper-piecing, though, is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

Barb said...

I was not a big fan of Kaffe myself but recently succumbed to make some wall art. Will post tomorrow with pics of the project www.tinkquilts.blogspot.com