The Lauer family farm has been in the family for 20 years now. Dennis & Elizabeth Lauer purchased the property in 1988. The barn was once used for hogs in the 1950s and horses in the 1980s. The structure has a foundation of stone and has a 10 X 10 hand cut beam framework put together by pins. Currently the barn is used for storage.
"We were told that a railroad worker named O'Connor loved the area and chose this location. He bought the land and built the farm. The railroad tracks are along the south side of the original farm property. The railroad came to Monroe in January of 1858."