Sunday, February 21, 2010

Well...it's...ORANGE

If you've known me for any amount of time at all, you are probably aware that the color orange scares the living hell out of me.  I've put it in a few quilts over the years and have ripped it out many times.  When I was in high school, orange was my friend Beth's favorite color.  I could never quite understand that because I thought it was just hideous.  I no longer think it's hideous but I still have a difficult time using it.  This quilt is really pushing the envelope for me.  The quilt ironically is for Beth.  She's currently on bed rest in the hospital because she's 'growing' mono amniotic twins.  I was originally going to make quilts for the kids but I feel compelled to also make Beth a quilt to hopefully turn her hospital room a little more cheery.

So tonight I was sewing the blocks together and I kept thinking, "wow...that's orange."  I laid the quilt out (yes I know it needs to be re-arranged - I was just laying down the pieces where ever they fell) and boy...it sure as hell is VERY ORANGE.  It's not just orange it's...WOW.  I'm scared.  I feel like it's just too much.  I realize there's no turning back at this point but I just don't know how I feel about this quilt right now.

In fact, I had to turn the light off in the sewing room and come down stairs to ponder the situation.

IMG_4179

Now that you've seen it, do you feel the same way that I do?  Or is it not as ORANGE as I think it is?  It was supposed to be a comfort quilt and it's probably going to cause DIScomfort.

I swear to god this quilt is probably up stairs glowing in the dark.  

What is up with me lately?  Do I need to have my head examined?  I'm beginning to question my own color judgement.  

Speaking of...

IMG_4183

My little Kaffe flowers are coming along quite nicely.


11 comments:

Kim West said...

I really like it. You don't see too much orange in my opinion.

Suzan said...

True, there is a lot of orange but it doesn't read orange. If you had used the same orange fabrics and switched to light fabrics for the dark, I think then it would have read orange.

The Kaffe fabrics look great with the black surround!

wordmama said...

First of all, I love orange, too. But the blues and purples help to cool the orange down. I think that it's the color saturation that makes you think it's too intense. A person who likes color will enjoy this quilt.

I know I love it. I know your friend will, too.

Julie-Ann said...

I'm not an "orange" person, either. However, I do like this quilt. It is "happy!" The orange could appear to be in your face, but the blue and purples make it all work. I like it. Could you throw on a border using the blues or purples? I think that would really help tone down the orange. And, yes, this will be very cheerful for someone in the hospital for a long time. A good conversation piece, too. She is lucky to have such a good friend.

Moneik said...

I don't like orange either, but I think this works. I'm sure your friend will love it! It's really going to brighten up her room. I think a blue or purple border or binding would tone it down a bit.

Michele said...

Not that much orange :)

Beth said...

Jen...hon...1st thing..dont' forget to BREATHE! I did an orange quilt for my youngest when he was...well...YOUNGER. I had a VERY hard time even picking the fabrics! It turned out to be one of the best quilts I have made. I entered it in our local quilt show and got MANY MANY positive comments. Consider this a good 'color study'...and remember: its not for YOU..its for your friend. She will love you for it! (then you can go and make quilts for the kids howEVER you like!) nice job by the way...I call these "kleenex boxes"...Love 'em!

rjholmes920 said...

Being a Syracuse University alum, I LOVE this quilt! You are doing an amazing job. I'm sure your friend will love it, not because of the color, but because you love her enough to make it especially for her.
Keep up the good work!

Carol VR said...

I love it and I'd be happy to be the recipient of a beautiful quilt like that.

Carol VR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

What is the name of the "keyhole" pattern you used for this quilt? I LOVE the pattern, quilt and colors. I LOVE orange. Orange is GOOD. Orange is my friend. One can never have too much orange; that'd be like having "too much fun." That would be impossible~~~

Perfect Quilt~~