Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Comfort Quilt

I just finished putting the last stitches into a backing for a comfort quilt.  A very near and dear to me friend was recently diagnosed with Ovarian Caner.  A few other ladies were talking about making a comfort quilt for her with the Ovarian Cancer line of fabric from Blank Quilting.  It dawned on me that those were the same fabrics from the $2 buck a block thangle blocks that I had been working on recently.  Since I wasn't sure what I was ever going to do with my blocks, I asked if they would like them for the back of the quilt.  Next thing I knew, my mom and Vogues were offering up their blocks too.  35 blocks for the quilt backing was a perfect use for them.  I'm so glad that these are going to a good home.  Hopefully this quilt will offer some comfort during this horrible time.



It's not an optical illusion, the side borders are wider than the top and bottom - and it's not the best picture I've ever taken!!  The borders weigh next to nothing next to the seam heavy center so it doesn't exactly want to hang right when held up for a picture.  I needed to make the borders different to make it the proper size for Diane to toss on the frame.








5 comments:

Moneik said...

Wow! I love the layout you used and it turned out awesome. What a perfect use for the blocks and the perfect color for your friend.

Cindy said...

That backing looks great and she's going to love it.

Pokey said...

Jen, this has such a coolness it its colors and your neat setting! Your friend will be blessed by it, I'm sure!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

It's wonderful! Still makes me think of the beach. What a nice thing to do! You're such a sweetie!

Karen said...

I can truly empathize with this person. It turns your life upside down. However, actions speak louder than words. Giving of yourself is a true treasure. Great job!