Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crazy Quilters Guild Show

Category 18 – 1st time entrant at any judged show

HONORABLE MENTION!!!

My Shade Cascade wall hanging was in this category.  I put it into this category because of it’s size and because I quilted it myself.  I entered it on a whim because the first entry was $5 and each additional was $1.  I figured what do I have to lose?  It almost didn’t make it to the show – my hanging sleeve is even safety pinned onto it.  When Mom dropped it off I told her if they didn’t like the sleeve and sent the quilt home my feelings weren’t going to be hurt.  While I LOVE the quilting on this wall hanging, the wall hanging itself is not my favorite.  In the world of woulda, shoulda, coulda…I would have used a different color bobbin thread.  It is however quilted with silver metallic thread and for the amount of quilting on this quilt, that itself is freaking amazing in my world!!



I didn’t crop this picture because I think I got so flustered by Beryl and my Mom and Grandma that I forgot to take pictures of the other quilts that won in my category. 

To the left is First Place – Jane Srnec – T-Shirt Quilt.  To the right is Third Place – Debbie Roether – Windpoint Lighthouse.  I completely missed the picture of Second Place – Verna LaPlante –Floral Applique.

What I can tell you is that Verna first started quilting in her mid-80’s.  She is now in her 90’s and it was a gorgeous quilt.  Hopefully I’ll be able to find some pictures online in a few days of these other quilts.

Anyway, here’s how my Judges slip read:

Best features of this quilt are:
  • Great Value Gradations!
  • Quilting design adds dimension
  • Quilting thread
  • Design Choice
Areas that need improvement are:
  • Machine Quilting tension
As I said above, I already knew it had tension issues before I entered it.  I’m just floored at the nice comments that it got!!

Last but not least, a picture of my Grandma with my wall hanging.



6 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

It's beautiful and one of my favorites! You rock!

Barb said...

That is a very beautifl quilt...love your grandma

Cindy said...

And to think, I knew her when.

Marilyn said...

Your quilts are all winners in my book. The pictures with your grandma are great. The second one really shows all the quilting, too! Thanks for sharing. ♥♫

Judy said...

I love your quilts! they're beautiful.

Moneik said...

Absolutely beautiful! So happy your mom and grandma could go with you to the show.