Monday, April 19, 2010

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Today was supposed to be a nice relaxing day - I planned to do nothing.  I chatted with Mom and we decided to go hunting for the Watermelon Schnapps that we need for the Jello Jigglers we're making at Quilt Retreat.  I went down into the basement to change the laundry and grab a pair of jeans from the laundry basket when I saw a big, giant spider and it freaked me out.  I think Mike is still laughing from our phone conversation.

My first thought was to beat the crap out of it so I ran upstairs to look for a shoe.  I didn't want to use one of mine so I grabbed Mike's hard soled slipper.  I ran back downstairs.  Then I realized I should take a picture before I kill him.  I mean, what if THIS was the type of spider that gave me that horrific spider bite that was so painful for weeks and made me nauseous for two months??  Back upstairs for my camera.  I could only get so close to spidey without freaking out and the lighting isn't that great.  I didn't want to use the flash and cause him to jump at me so, here's what you get:

IMG_4822

He's currently double zip lock bagged and hanging out outside in the mail box until tomorrow morning when I'm running him to the Batzner Pest place to have him identified.  I'm sorry, Daddy Long Legs spiders I'm semi ok with.  Centipedes, although I can't stand them, not nearly as scary as this guy.  He has FANGS for crying out loud!!  In my world, the only time I've seen something his size or larger is the zoo.  I plan to "Office Space" him as soon as I find out what he is.




8 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You're right....EWWWWWWWW! Bring him to retreat and we can all have an office space whack at him! Heheheheee! See ya soon! Let's get this party started!

Trish said...

UGHhh..... That is SO ugly.... I hate spiders!

Marilyn said...

I used to take bugs and spiders to school because the kids love them. BUT, I've never seen one that looks green! That is strange!! ♥♫

piecemealquilts said...

I think it's in the Dysderidae family - a woodlouse spider. Check out a photo here (brace yourself):
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/dysdera1.jpg
And info here (scroll down about halfway, past many, many disgusting spider photos):
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcspiders.htm

piecemealquilts said...

I think it's in the Dysderidae family - a woodlouse spider. Check out a photo here (brace yourself):
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/dysdera1.jpg
And info here (scroll down about halfway, past many, many disgusting spider photos):
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcspiders.htm

Staci said...

I had a great big spider on my back porch one time, and I didn't dare to go past him/her. I watched through the screen for a while and I noticed that her back/abdomen seemed to be spinning while he/she sat there. Well, hubby came home and starts yelling for me to come look. He'd gotten the thing to walk onto a piece of paper, and he'd lifted it up to the screen. It was covered with mini spiders! It was like it was carrying it's hatched eggs (or those from some other spider) right along with it.

Crikeys that made my skin crawl!

Moneik said...

So glad you found your spider.

Rhonda said...

Jen, I am laughing with you not at you. Spiders......eeeeK! I would have stomped him to death a thousand times....LOL......and you're taking it to be identified.....what a hoot...girlfriend you are so funny.......You have go to pop over to my blog and read about my snake adventure.