Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fun & Notable

I'm running around getting things cut and packaged to take to retreat.  I'm working on getting everything in order for my Amish Rubic Quilt.  I'm also printing out foundations for Linda too.  I think I finally have that all in order and I'm ready to cut my fabric.  In the mean time...

While at International Quilt Festival I bought a pretty cool tote...along with thousands of other people.  For those of you who wern't there, it looks like this:


It's the coolest bag ever!  Other designs can be found at Patty Reed Designs.  It's called the Insta-Tote.

The booth across from ours at the show was Shades Textiles.  Ever since reading Jennifer Chiaverini's new book, "The Aloha Quilt", Mom and I thought it would be cool to make a Hawaiian Quilt.  Of course, neither of us have the attention span to do that much hand applique.  Plus, we'd have to find a pattern or a book to buy anyway, right?  At Shades Textiles I was able to buy some Hawaiian quilt blocks that are pre-cut, they have a positive and a negative image so Mom and I can each have one, AND they already have the fusible on them.  Does it get any better than that?  Plus the website has video instructions on how to proceed with our pre-cuts!  These are the two I bought (Hula Flower in Aqua & Santa's On His Way in Green):

 


I can't wait to layer them up and start appliquéing on them!!




5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hope the book(Aloha Quilt) is good as it's on reserve at the library for me. My Grandma made a quilt with single blocks that are similar to the Hawaiian style quilts. My mom let me have it!! Hurray! ♥♫

agent99 said...

LOVE the quilt show bags, but did the sharp corners scratch??
I did not care for Hawaiian quilts until I traveled to Kauai and stopped of at a shop there. They are actually amazing! It's nice to have a project for hand quilting when you are away from home too!
I fell in love with your booth - but did not make the connection to the blog.
I see a road trip in my future!

Jen said...

I feel funny with everyone asking if it's *my* booth because it's not. I work at the shop. =)

Cindy said...

Jen forgot to mention that the bag has these really neat compartments inside that would hold up bottles. She bought me one home too and I can't wait to start using my new bag.

Moneik said...

The bag looks awesome. Tell more on the amish rubic quilt, it sounds interesting.