Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quilts on Barns - #102 My Country 'Tis of Thee

My Country 'Tis of Thee....sweet land of liberty...of thee I sing.  Oh wait, we're not singing??  My Country 'Tis of Thee is located at W7065 County Highway H in New Glarus, WI.  Here's some tidbits of information borrowed from the Green County Barn Quilt website (which totally makes me wish we had driven into their farm for a better picture!!

The property was owned by a Swiss family from 1873 until 2004 when the current owners purchased it. The barn was built in 1920. Construction is mortoise and tenon, with oak beams and pegs.  It has been said that this is a typical "Schweitzer" (Swiss) barn, with the ramp on the west side. The Raskovic family hopes to maintain the Swiss heritage, and are currently restoring some of the smaller buildings.

IMG_5034

IMG_5032

IMG_5028 IMG_5029 IMG_5030 IMG_5031 IMG_5033


5 comments:

Barb said...

Now that is a wonderful barn!

Littlebook said...

Love it! Thank you for sharing this. My folks live out in Wisconsin and I'm going to make them go on a field trip to New Glarus the next time I'm back home!

Cindy said...

What a neat looking block. I need a barn or my own garage so I could have a block on it.

Judy said...

Cindy,
What a Great Idea!
We could do Garage quilt blocks. I'm for it.

Moneik said...

What a pretty block! Love the RWB.