Monday, May 24, 2010

Spring Quilt Market 2010 - Part 1

Wow, what a few days!  I got to go to Spring Quilt Market in Minneapolis, MN this past weekend and it was fantastic.  There's a lot to cover so I'll start with School House.

School House is a day long event where the sessions are anywhere from 15-30 minutes.  You hop from room to room learning new things and see new products.

In our opening session we heard about a survey that was done that says the average quilter is approximately 62 years old and has been quilting for 16 years.  To that I want to say...who filled out this survey?  Everyday I read so many quilt blogs and while everyones age IS all over the board there are just sooooooo many younger quilters that I'm surprised that the AVERAGE number isn't more towards 50.

Our first school house session was cancelled so we moved over to another one - catching the last few minutes of the presentation by Ranae Allen of  Skillbuilder Panels.  I have two of them in my stash, they've been there for about two years now.  I've just not taken the time to do them but I've always wondered what to do with them afterwards and now I know - You turn them over and use the back side as quilted fabric.  Yeah, we'll see how good mine comes out.  =)

Skill Builder Panels

At Schmetz Needles we got a really BIG laugh at their Really Big Needle.  Did you know they now have a blog?

Schmetz really big needle
Seriously, have you ever SEEN a larger Needle??
Onto Poppy Patterns where they design hip & easy patterns.  Laura Gunn has a blog.

Poppy Patterns
Isn't this a sharp quilt? The pattern is FREE!
Pat Sloan gave us some Aurifil Threads tips.  She uses 50 weight to Piece, Machine Quilt, Blanket Stitch & Applique by hand.  She views Peach #2220 as a great power house color.  She uses 40 weight when piecing quilts that will get heavy use, when machine quilting and needing more definition and blanket stitching but also reminds us to test our seam allowance when changing weights of thread.  Pat has her own thread collection with Aurifil (I was able to nab one at Sample Spree!!)  Pat & Aurifil each have blogs. 
Our next session was Shannon Fabrics.  They offer free patterns!  In addition to their bolted goods, they just came out with boxes that have just what you need to make a quilt.  This quilt comes as strips so that all you need to do is sew it together.

IMG_5112

They wanted to remind everyone that sewing with snuggly fabrics does not produce a perfect quilt.  This is one of those projects where we just need to let go a little.  You're not ironing this fabric!  If you want to get rid of all the extra fuzzies, cut your fabric and put it in the dryer with a dryer sheet and a damp wash cloth.  Use low heat and tumble for about 10 minutes and your fuzzies will be gone, no more shedding.  Clean your lint trap when you're done.  If you're sewing with a dimple fabric, smoosh the dimple in, do not stretch it when sewing over it.  Use a walking foot with a closed toe.  Reduce the foot pressure and lengthen your stitch length for best results.

Darlene Zimmerman's Clothesline Club was our next session.  She showed off her new Paper Doll fabric collection.

IMG_5124

IMG_5131

Whew...that's a lot for one post.  I'll continue with School House tomorrow!



4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to get OUT of my school house! Four more days! Thanks for the inspiration and pictures of new things. ♥♫

Michele said...

Jen, I don't think the average quilter blogs :)
If I look around our guild, those statistics seem about right. While we do have a few younger members, most are older than me (and I'm pushing 50 pretty hard).

imquilternity said...

Thanks for sharing since I didn't get to go this time. I love quilt market and really feel left out when I can't go! Sounds like you had a good time.

Kona Bay Fabrics Blog said...

Hi Jen -

Thanks for blogging about your Quilt Market activities!

As a vendor at Quilt Market, I do not always get out and look at all the beautiful booths so thanks for sharing!!

That's pretty cool you let your readers know what went on!!


Douglas Eagleson
President, Kona Bay Fabrics

http://www.konabay.com