Tuesday, March 22, 2011

9 Days Till Quilt Retreat!

Spring quilt retreat time is here again.  I was chatting yesterday with friends about what projects I was going to be bringing along.  All of a sudden I'm worried about not having enough cut up to bring along.  I may have to re-think things.  Going with my new mantra of working on easy quilts so that I can enjoy myself; that's great and all but they don't take very long.  Here's my current line up with pictures of 'like' quilts since my cronies need to know what I'm working on.  They want to make sure it's not itty bitty items that will take me 5 minutes.  Yeah, unless it's a challenge to put as many pieces as possible into a 6" block, I'm all about large quilts.

For all 5 of these comfort quilts I will not be putting on the outer borders at retreat.  I will wait for borders until I know who they are going to and then I'll buy border/binding/backing to suit that person.  The exciting thing about these comfort quilts is with the exception of background fabric they came entirely from my stash.  I had a box of batiks that I went through and cut up into 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 5-1/2 & 6-1/2 strips.

Quilts 1, 2 & 3 - Modified Urban Cabin quilts cut up and ready to go.  The finished size with border is something like 55X77.

Quilt 4 - Yellow Brick Road Quilt kit.  The cool thing about this one is that all 36 of the 3-1/2" strips are different.  Also finishes with outer border at around 55X75.

Quilt 5 - Between Friends Jr. Kit - Also finishes with outer border at around 55X75.

Quilt 6 - Modified Strip Twist.  The quilt top just needs to be assembled.  I last worked on it in November at retreat.  Not really sure how far I got with assembly.  Will finish 66 X 88.

Quilt 7 - Flowers for Kashmir.  Will measure 71 X 82.  This will be the 4th retreat this quilt has gone on.  It's been cut up the entire time.  It's time to make this sucker; it's not going on a 5th retreat.  Moneik and I were discussing I should probably make a few rows first so that I've got the piecing of triangles thing down.  Yeah, I'm 2 rows of 14 into it and I'm not amused!  This was a good idea.  I can see this quilt and I parting company once it's finished!!  


Ok, Ok, now that I SEE this list I believe that I have enough to keep busy for 4 days.  Oh and they've placed wagers on me...whether or not I can accomplish these tasks.  I think they're fools for placing a bet because once I hear something like that you better believe I'll do everything to get it done.  Moneik is putting up a yard of fabric from her stash for every top I finish.  Muhahahaha...I intend to leave retreat 7 yards of fabric richer.


5 comments:

Teresa said...

Gotta love going on retreat and you have some great projects to take along.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Urban cabin is one of the patterns I bought to bring to retreat, too. But, I haven't cut mine yet. I've got my Frosted Squares one too and I haven't cut it either. Figured I'd get mine cut this weekend while Garry is in Toronto. Oh..and Moneik offered me the same wager! Woohooo! Let's do it!

Moneik said...

I'll happily send along some great fabric for you girls just to see the terrific amount of piecing you can get done at retreat. I actually took pictures of the two quilts I hope to get pieced that weekend. I'm sure you'll both get lots accomplished.

Moneik said...

The retreat box is packed and now I just need to get it mailed. I was going to send your birthday gift, but it's just not finished yet and I don't feel like rushing the hand work on it. I'll send it with your "winnings" because I know it's a wager I'm bound to loose a lot of fabric on.

Barb said...

Love all of the quilts you posted. One day, I will go to a retreat, in the mean time...you go and have fun for me!