Sunday, April 3, 2011

Quilt Retreat–Day 3

Day 3 started with a bang…as in I went to bed at 5:30AM on Saturday morning and was woken up at 7:30AM by an emergency phone call from my husband.  Now, in his defense; I DID say if anything came up with Holly, I needed to know.  I could be on the road within minutes and get home.

Phone rings.  I assume if it’s Mike and it’s that early it’s something serious.  I bolt out of bed and I accidentally decline the call.  Then I can’t get service.  I go charging down a flight of stairs tripping on my PJ pants and almost careening into the front door at the bottom of the stairs all WHILE trying to redial Mike and get to a point on the property where I can get a good signal.  My heart has dropped, it’s racing a hundred miles a minute because I’m not ready for her to be this sick yet.
I’m connected, I frantically ask what’s wrong with my girl, he tells me and our conversation went something like this:

Mike: Holly stepped on a fake fingernail outside and I can’t get it off her paw.
Jen: So she’s ok?
M: No she’s not ok, she’s got this fingernail hooked on her foot. 
J: But she’s ok? Are you EFFING KIDDING ME? <INSERT CRAZY IRRATIONAL STRING OF NOT AT ALL POLITE WORDS HERE AND I’M NOT AT ALL QUIET AT THIS MOMENT…>_____ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______ ______ ________.  I GOT TWO HOURS OF SLEEP AND THINK YOU’RE CALLING BECAUSE SHE’S ON DEATHS DOOR AND SHE HAS A FINGERNAIL ATTACHED TO HER PAW????
Mike the ‘ever rational’ deadpans: Well, I can’t get it off, I figured you’re with a group of creative women and you’d be able to come up with a way to get it off. 
J: Ok, that makes sense but you scared the hell out of me.  I need a picture.

Holly nail
J: Just pull it off. 
M: No, it’s really stuck there, I’m afraid of hurting her.

So in the end, we didn’t have any nail polish remover with acetone and since I wasn’t home to give an assist he ran her over to the vet for some help.  It all ended well but I’m sitting here, still laughing about it.

Now you’d think since I was up so early I would have gotten a TON done yesterday.  I spent a lot of hours sewing but all I finished was the Flowers for Kashmir quilt.  That last row, the assembly and the borders really took much more time than I anticipated.  It turned out nice, I’m impressed with my ability to piece 60 degree triangles together but, I’m still not in love with this quilt.  Once it’s quilted it’s going to need to find itself a new home.  I’m sure that won’t be a problem!

IMG_0983
We made a trip out to the store after deciding to do a group Sudoku quilt.  During the outing I bought a 12 pack of Mt. Dew Live Wire and I’m pretty sure I’ve already consumed half of them.  Caffeine…gotta love it!!

It was our groups night to make dinner and although my lasagna came out tasting good in the end it was an EPIC FAIL!  Epic seems to be my new phrase of the weekend.  I don’t know where I picked THAT up but whatever.  Shrug.  Back to the Epic Fail…  I couldn’t get the oven hot enough for long enough.  It never truly got bubbly.  I’m disappointed.  I think over the next year I need to devise a way to make a lasagna type dish in a crock pot.  At least if I bring mine from home, I’d know what to expect from it. 

Before bed I was able to get the blocks almost  completed for my last two Urban Cabin quilt kits so undoubtedly those will get finished on Sunday with time to spare before check out.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Glad all turned out well...

love the quilt!!

Cindy said...

All I can say is why didn't he call me? I could have helped him out with Holly.

Moneik said...

So glad things worked out, but wow, I'm sure it was a long day! So glad you finished the K quilt.