Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sudoku Twister

While we were at retreat I got the brilliant idea that we should have a Sudoku swap.  I really couldn’t tell you if I made this idea up after lack of sleep or if I’ve heard of it somewhere.  I mean I know there’s Sudoku quilts out there and Sudoku Quilt books so that idea wasn’t new…but a swap?  The idea was that with 9 swappers we could each make a Sudoku quilt.  7 of us went to Stitcher’s Crossing and I’m sad to say I became the type of shopper that annoys me.  You know, pulling out bolts at random and sticking them back in with reckless abandon.  That aside, the 7 of us set about to pick out 9 fabrics. 

Each person needed to cut Eighty One, 5” squares so that they could put them into piles of 9 so each swapper would get a stack.  This meant everyone purchased 1-5/8ths yards.  Here’s the Nine Luscious batiks that we started out with.

IMG_0991

Now, really, since I pulled this whole Sudoku quilt swap concept out of my ass I was still taken aback when people asked…what next?  I think I stared pretty blankly and went to Google. 

Ohhhh yeah, thank you Google, that’s where I recently saw Sudoku Quilts…Moda. 

Oh yeah, now what?  My response was, “This just gives everybody a chance to be realllllly cre8tive.”  I was met with BLANK STARES if you can believe it.  I’m not quite sure why…shrug.

Meanwhile back at the ranch…

My friend Susie became enamored with Twister Quilts and since I go by the “Choose your own adventure” when you quilt philosophy I was thinking…what about a Sudoku Twister quilt????  Wouldn’t that look more interesting than Nine 9-patches??  Hmmmmmmmm????

Now, even though I came up with this brilliant idea I’ve never done a Sudoku game in my life.  I tried…quite a few times in the last few weeks.  But every time I got 1/2 way through, I accidentally hit the back button and cleared out my game.  I’ve now decided to give up and just go looking for one with the answers already filled in. 

A typical Sudoku puzzle grid, with nine rows and nine columns that intersect at square spaces. Some of the spaces are pre-filled with one number each; others are blank spaces for a solver to fill with a number. The previous puzzle, solved with additional numbers that each fill a blank space.

Which I then translated into EQ. 

sudoku

So I put it together (Forgive the awful iPhone picture).

photo 1

And then, I started chopping it back up using the Twister Tool method..  Isn’t this 4 patch block cute??

photo 3

Here’s the finished but un-quilted product.

IMG_1215

The coolest thing is that 5 of my 8 other Sudoku Swap buddies got to see it in person today and now I’m hoping they’re all excited about doing something with their charms!

7 comments:

Glynis said...

Just love love love your little twister quilt - congratulations!

Suzan said...

Great idea! The quilt looks bright and fun.

Sandi said...

I love the twister quilts, and yours with the Sudoku beginnings is wonderful! Very creative.

zebracar said...

Your quilt is beautiful! And what a fun group project. I'm sure your friends were inspired to finish theirs after seeing yours.

Moneik said...

It looks incredible. It's just too funny that I found the square book that the twister pattern is in and brought it back today. I didn't realize it was in there until I was looking through the books tonight.

Barbara said...

I have to admit when I saw just the blocks together I didn't care for it much, but after you used the twister tool, it looks great. What a wonderful idea you had.

butrfly2200 said...

Wow that made a great quilt top. How did you keep everything in order of the sudoku when you cut the twister blocks????
Congrats on an awesome quilt
:)Carol near Calgary, Alberta