Thursday, January 26, 2012

1600 Quilt

I've been hearing a lot about "1600" quilts recently and thought they were odd until my friend Linda made one and then put some large applique's on top of it.  Then, I was intrigued.  Add making the sewing process into a race and I was hooked!! 

I have some bright batiks that I'm making into a split nine patch for Maddie.  The squares have been done for a few months but I haven't taken the time to lay it out and get it sewn together partly because I didn't know what to use for the backing.  I wanted to use something I had versus purchasing something new.  When this 1600 quilt idea came around I decided I'd cut some strips, do the 1600 race and use it as a back.  Problem is...I now like the back far more than the front!!


For those of you not familiar with the 1600 quilt concept, Heirloom Creations has a great blog post and video about it.  Basically you sew 40, 2-1/2" strips together end to end.  This equals roughly 1600 inches.  I decided to sew mine straight on instead of on the diagonal.  I also opted to cut all of my strips in half so that I'd have more variety through out the quilt.  I really like how it came out...and now I'm addicted and can't wait to make a few more.  

The time clock for the "race" doesn't start until you have all of your strips joined together.  It starts once you're ready to sit down and start sewing your 1600 inches and stops when you sew your last seam - this is when you iron it.  From start to finish mine took 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I'll admit, somehow in my ironing of my 1600" I got all twisted and knotted up.  Thankfully, Linda became my "pit crew" and helped untangle while I sewed.  


I think Maddie looks quite spiffy on the back of her new quilt!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Love it! What is the width that the quilt is cut at?

Moneik said...

That's an awesome quilt! I've been cutting my batik scraps, but don't think I have nearly that many yet. Heirloom Creations is the shop I bought my frame at. They are about the same equivalency as our shop, only on the other side of the state. I stop every time I'm going through SF. Maddie is getting so big! Is she feeling better now?

dorothy said...

I love how youts turned out! I agree cutting the strips in half distributes the colors better. I don't care for the mitered seams either.

Barb said...

What a fun quilt, I haven't hear of this before, thanks for telling us about it.

Kate Henderson said...

Thanks for sharing this, I run a small quilting group and I'm sure my ladies would love to give this a go. x